THE FAFSA TO DO LIST: BEFORE YOU START
What to know:
The FAFSA will be available starting OCTOBER 1st for the 2019-2020 application cycle. Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) @ www.fafsa.ed.gov
The FAFSA is the MOST IMPORTANT document you will fill out concerning your financial aid! Even if you don’t think you’ll qualify, still apply!
Here are some things to do BEFORE you start filling out the FAFSA:
1. Get a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) Username/Password @ https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/fsaid
2. Write it down! You need to “sign” your online FAFSA & Keep it Safe!
3. One of your parents/guardians MUST also get a FSA ID Username/Password. Write that down too and keep it safe!
Collect the following documents:
1. 2017 Income tax returns, yours and your parents. You’ll be using the 2017 income records for the 2019-2020 school year
2. W-2 forms and other records of income; if you work (even if you don’t) you must include this information in the FAFSA
3. Your Social Security Number
4. Your Parents Social Security Numbers
5. Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a U.S. Citizen
6. Know your parents date of marriage; parent’s date of birth
7. Information on savings, investments & businesses assets for yourself and for your parents (excluding retirement accounts)
Find out what you qualify for: Grants, Loans, Work Study