Copperwood Elementary AzMERIT Testing window is April 3rd -April 26th.
Copperwood Community please do not schedule appointments and vacations that interfere with the scholastic day during the month of April.
Before the Test
- Review the material more than one time.
- Ensure she gets a good night’s sleep and has a healthy breakfast before the test.
On the Day of the Test
- Listen closely to verbal directions and read carefully any instructions on the test itself.
- Ask the teacher to explain any instructions she doesn’t understand.
Types of Test Questions
- If any part of the answer is false, the whole thing is false.
- Watch for words like “never,” “always,” “every,” “all,” “none,” and “only”; they generally indicate a false answer.
- Don’t leave it blank – a guess has a 50-50 chance of being right!
2. Multiple Choice
- Read the whole question carefully and try to decide what the answer is before reading any of the options.
- Read all the answer options, then choose the one that most closely matches her answer.
- When unsure, eliminate answers that are clearly incorrect.
- Read the sentence carefully for clues about the type of information needed.
- Notice the type of blanks in the sentence. One short blank calls for a single word answer. A longer blank indicates a longer answer, such as a phrase.
- Scan the whole column of possible matches rather than stopping at the first likely answer.
- Answer the questions that are known first.
- Keep going through the columns to make more matches.
5. Essay Questions
- Before writing, make an outline to organize main ideas and facts to include in the answer.
- Focus on only one idea per paragraph.
- State the main point in the first sentence of each paragraph.
- Avoid unsupported statements – include relevant details and examples.
- If time is running out, write at least an outline of the whole answer.
After the Test
- Were questions left blank due to a lack of time?
- Were any errors due to not following instructions?