Peoria Unified is proud to boast a 93 percent high school graduation rate. It is one of the largest unified school districts in Arizona and prides itself on excelling schools, award-winning teachers, high test scores, specialized signature programs and championship athletic programs.
2021 Athletic Recognitions
Congratulations to the following individual students and school teams for taking their athletic skills to the next level this season.
Cactus High School
Senior Gilbert Olivas won the Division III boys 1600-meter event, securing the state title with a time of 4:16:06, beating out former Cactus Cobra and current Centennial Coach Steve Ybarra’s almost three-decade-long district record by .23 seconds.
Centennial High School
- Centennial Spiritline took the Division II All Girl Stunt State Champions and Qualifier Champions
- In Track and Field, Centennial's Dominick Brister won the Division II 100-meter dash with a time of 10.60 and the Division II 200-meter dash with a time of 21.54
Ironwood High School
- The Badminton team won the Division II State Title
- Gavin Gonzales is the Division II 113 lb. State Champion
- Ruben (Xavier) Lerma is the 126 lb. State Champion
- Markell Rivera is the 170 lb. State Champion
- This is the first time Ironwood has had three state champion wrestlers in the same season
Liberty High School
Division 1 Girls Golf
- State Champ Mattison (Mattie) Frick. Scores of 76, 75 for a total of 151
- Division 1 Girls Wrestling Individual Bella Bocanegra 106 pounds. First Liberty girls state champ and went undefeated. Won by decision 8-5
Boys Wrestling Individual
- Division 1 State Champ undefeated freshmen 120 pounds Michael Trujillo. Won by decision 5-2
- Division 1 State Champ 152 pounds Tyler Sauter Back-to-Back State Champ. Won by decision 6-3
- 6A Baseball State Champions
- 4x4 Relay Team – Josh Anderson, Ryder McMillon, Wesley Grim and Jordan Guevara with a time of 3:20
Peoria High School
Isaac Moreno won the Division III State Long Jump at 22' 3.50"
Sunrise Mountain High School
- 5A State Champs (First time in school history)
- Daniel Matheson won the Boys Swimming Division II State Title for the 200 Yard Freestyle in a time of 1:37.17. This set a new Sunrise Mountain school record. He also won the Division II State Title for the 500 Yard Freestyle in a time of 4:20.24. This not only set a new Sunrise Mountain record but he broke the State record as well.
Track and Field
- Boys Triple Jump - Malachi Marshall with 45' 5"
- Girls 800m - Kaitlyn Kaye with a time of 2:17:18 (a school record)