At the April 13 Board Meeting, the Peoria Unified Governing Board approved boundary changes to address future growth in the district. The changes will take place beginning with the 2017-18 school year.
To view a copy of the current map and the new map, effective August 2017, click here.
The Board also approved the following recommendations:
- The continuity of 7th-graders to remain in their current school through the 8th-grade
- Siblings may remain with their 8th-grade brother/sister, including Kindergarten enrolment, for one year
- Transportation will be provided for one year for students impacted by the change
- Special education students will be provided levels of service as determined by their IEP team
- No high school student will be reassigned from their current school due to elementary school boundary changes (including incoming freshman)
They also asked that the Governing Board call for a bond election since the approved boundary adjustments only represent a short-term solution for the rapid growth. The Governing Board also voted to call a Citizens’ Advisory Committee to explore calling for a bond election. The Committee is expected to bring forward a recommendation in May.
The Boundary Committee proposed the boundary adjustments after receiving community feedback in March and April of 2017. Committee minutes may be found on the district's website here.