THE FAFSA TO DO LIST: BEFORE YOU START
What to know:
The FAFSA will be available starting OCTOBER 1st.
Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) @ https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa
The FAFSA is the MOST IMPORTANT document you will fill out concerning your financial aid! Even if you don’t think you’ll qualify, still apply! Even if you don't receive funds, schools use the information in order to put together your offer.
Here are some things to do BEFORE you start filling out the FAFSA:
- Get a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) Username/Password @ https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/fsaid
- Write it down! You need to “sign” your online FAFSA & Keep it Safe!
- One of your parents/guardians MUST also get a FSA ID Username/Password. Write that down too and keep it safe!
Collect the following documents:
- 2021 income tax returns, yours and your parents. You’ll be using the income records for the year prior to the academic year that you are applying for
- W-2 forms and other records of income; if you work (even if you don’t) you must include this information in the FAFSA
- Your Social Security Number
- Your Parents' Social Security Numbers
- Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a U.S. Citizen
- Know your parents date of marriage; parent’s date of birth
- Information on savings, investments & businesses assets for yourself and for your parents if you are providing parent information (excluding retirement accounts)