Please contact our attendance office directly to report an absence. Absences must be reported by a parent or guardian within 24 hours of the absence.
Excessive absences due to illness must be verified with a doctor's note. Vacation time that exceeds the alloted absences per term/semester must be approved BEFOREHAND by administration.
If a student exceeds 5 absences in a term or 10 absences in a semester, he/she may lose credit in that class. If a student loses credit due to excessive absences, a letter will be mailed home explaining the reason for the loss of credit as well as the procedure to appeal.
Tardy Policy at Ironwood High School
Our policy is designed around these purposes:
1. To reduce classroom interruptions caused by students arriving late to class.
2. To reduce the number of students loitering on campus.
3. To teach the "lifelong" skill of promptness.
Tardy: Defined as when a student arrives into the classroom after the last bell has rung without a pass.
Excused Tardy: Defined as a student who has a pass to class from:
Previous hour teacher
Consequences for Unexcused – Per Semester:
Tardies 1-3 No Consequence
Tardies 4-5 Lunch Suspension/first 15 mins. of lunch in the front office. Communicate with Parent.
Tardies 6+ Off Campus Suspension
These tardies are CUMULATIVE per semester/regardless of class period.
• A parent can excuse up to 5 tardies (1st hour), and the parent must escort the student into the attendance office to do so. After the 5th excused tardy, the consequences for unexcused tardies will be put in place.
• Failure to serve Lunch Suspension will result in Off Campus Suspension.
• 30 minutes late to a class constitutes an absence
• Accumulated tardies could impact Attendance Appeals
• Accumulated tardies could impact Open Enrollment application
Our goal is to get students to class on time and respect the 90 minutes of course work our teachers have worked hard to prepare.