FAFSA TO DO LIST: BEFORE YOU START
What to know:
The FAFSA will be available starting OCTOBER 1st for the 2018-2019 application cycle. Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
The FAFSA is the MOST IMPORTANT document you will fill out concerning your financial aid! Even if you don't thing you'll qualify, still apply!
Here are some things to do BEFORE you start fill out the FAFSA:
1. Get a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) Username/Password at https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/fsaid.
2. Write it down! You need to "sign" your online FAFSA and Keep it SAFE!
3. One of your parents/guardians MUST also get a FSA ID Username/Password. Write that down too and keep it safe!
Collect the following documents:
1. Income tax records. You'll be using the income records for the year prior to the academic year that you are applying for.
2. W-2 forms and other records of income; if you work (even if you don't) you must include this information in the FAFSA.
3. Your Social Security Number.
4. Your Parents' Social Security Numbers.
5. Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a U.S. Citizen.
6. Know your parents' date of marriage; parent's dates of birth.
7. Information on savings, investments, and business assets for yourself and for your parents if you are providing parent information (excluding retirement accounts).