Gifted Education in Peoria Unified
District Vision - Every student, every day, prepared to shape tomorrow
Gifted Services Philosophy
Peoria Unified School District recognizes that each gifted student is unique in the scope of their aptitudes and abilities. Providing flexible and varied learning experiences to expand the academic, creative, and social emotional aspects of each gifted child is integral to their success. Stimulating learning opportunities and appropriate resources are provided to support the advancement of individual interests, talents and strengths of our gifted students.
- Provide a K-12 continuum of services
- Identify those students who are gifted by designing multiple screening and selection procedures and instruments to accurately identify gifted students, especially students who are traditionally underserved such as minority, EL, and twice-exceptional students
- Develop, refine and implement gifted curriculum and service differentiation with respect to content, process, product and environment
- Encourage students to become independent learners, effective problem solvers, and creative thinkers
- Assist students in developing an understanding of self and how their unique characteristics may influence interactions with others
- Provide academic enrichment and acceleration for gifted students
- Assist students in communicating information, ideas, and solutions clearly and accurately
- Train as many teachers as possible about the unique needs of gifted students
Arizona Revised Statutes-effective January 1, 2007
Arizona Revised Statute 15-779 defines a “gifted pupil” as a child who is of lawful school age, who due to superior intellect or advanced learning ability, or both, is not afforded an opportunity for otherwise attainable progress and development in regular classroom instruction and who needs appropriate gifted education services, to achieve at levels commensurate with the child’s intellect and ability.
Arizona Revised Statute 15-779 defines “gifted education” as appropriate academic course offerings and services that are required to provide an educational program that is an integral part of the regular school day and that is commensurate with the academic abilities and potential of a gifted pupil.
Discovering, Expanding and Celebrating the Gifts and Talents of all Learners
The Federal Programs Department provides an increasingly comprehensive, challenging K-12 curriculum to meet the needs and enhance the talents of gifted learners. In order to achieve this goal, the gifted team has concentrated on the following objectives:
- Searching, refining and designing multiple screening and selection procedures and instruments to accurately identify gifted students;
- Developing, refining and implementing gifted curriculum and service differentiation with respect to content, process, product and environment;
- Collaboratively developing and supporting site-based programs and interdepartmental projects with administrators, teachers, parents and students to address the unique, diverse needs of gifted learners;
- Investigating assessment procedures to measure student’s growth and program effectiveness.
Learn more about Choice Programs in Peoria Unified